Product Managers are cross-functional leaders who help project teams define and deliver the right products for our federal government clients and their visitor segments and stakeholders. Successful Product Managers work collaboratively with internal teams, the customer, and teaming partners on innovative digital projects throughout the entire product development life cycle to drive products from conception through delivery and iterative improvement.
Very similar to, and sometimes also known as, Product Owner (PO), Project Manager, Project Management Professional (PMP), and Agile Project Manager; Product Managers establish a shared vision by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution. They can break down complex problems into user stories and epics that drive product development. They have an innate ability to plan, prioritize and integrate to release high-quality products. They bring a strategic perspective to projects as well as contribute hands-on in order to get things done.
Primarily responsible for:
- Lead one or more multi-disciplinary agile delivery teams to deliver excellent new products and/or iterations to existing products to meet user needs
- Gather user requirements based on a communicable understanding of diverse audience groups
- Define and get stakeholder buy-in for product definition and delivery approach
- Create effective, prioritized product descriptions, and delivery plans to meet user needs in a cost-effective way
- Interpret user research in order to make the correct product decisions, noting that users do not always know what they want
- Continually keep abreast of changes to user habits, preferences, and behaviors across various digital platforms and their implications for successful delivery of government digital services
- Underpin the delivery and iteration of digital services through effective analysis of qualitative and quantitative user data
- Communicate credibly with a wide range of digital delivery disciplines and talent
- Define and manage product roadmaps to realize business goals and strategies.
- Help define the core product vision, goals, functionality and requirements.
- Establish shared vision by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution.
- Collaborate with highly creative user experience experts, visual designers and engineers to reach the best possible version of a feature or product to bring to market.
- Create and maintain product roadmaps, feature backlogs and product documentation such PRDs, user stories, use cases, user flows, logic flows, and functional specifications.
- Prioritize development activities with engineering teams, assist in determining the best technical implementation methods, work closely with QA on acceptance testing and lead product launches.
- 3+ years of product management, business analysis or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of industry experience.
- Experience with waterfall and agile methodologies and an understanding of product management’s role in various development methodologies.
- Proven track record of leading and delivering digital products and services.
- Strong leadership, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to quickly understand, simplify, internalize and communicate complex or technical concepts.
- Demonstrated thoroughness, follow-up and attention to detail.
- BA/BS, preferably in a technical field such as Computer Science.
- Up-to-date understanding of market trends and keen interest in following emerging technologies.
- Emphasis on user-driven product design and data-driven product refinement.
- Strong understanding of user experience, technical amp; business issues.
- Digital agency, consulting or entrepreneurial experience.