There are seven (7) primary reasons why people use the Internet and/or visit a website:
If you want to drive traffic to your website, if you want people to be loyal and faithful visitors of your website who return frequently and linger longer, you need to think about how you can satisfy all 7 of these motivators.
Think about a real estate site for example and how we can apply the 7 drivers of traffic:
- Information – What is the price of this particular home? What are the school ratings or crime ratings?
- Education – How do I become a licensed real estate agent? What are the steps involved in buying a home?
- Entertainment – Pinterest-style photos for design and decor. Funny stories about life or living in an area.
- Communication – Ability to send a message to a home owners wishing to sell or rent their home. Notifications.
- Community – Ability to community with other people like you, people moving into an area, people living in an area.
- Tools – Directory of title attorneys, real estate agents, and contractors. Geomap of available properties.
- E-Commerce – Ability to pay for services, perhaps a premium listing in a directory, or ability to book/hire a contractor.
Pick an industry. Every industry, every niche, every product, and every subject matter has the opportunity to provide these 7 things. So, if you are developing a website around an industry, niche, product, or subject matter, then you might consider thinking about the 7 ways you can drive traffic to your site.
If you need help with your digital strategy or building your website in WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal; please give us a shout.