We asked some of our Acquia Certified Drupal Developers what they think the best things about Drupal 8 over Drupal 7 and here are their responses:
- Popular contrib modules are now in Drupal 8 core
- Open architecture that allows greater flexibility and integration
- Faster templating engine thanks to Twig and improved security
- Everything is an entity and can be edited as such
- Lots of contrib features now built in. (Like views)
- Configuration can be now easily shared across different environments
- D8 uses Symfony as a base framework and follows Symfony updates
- D8 is built to support REST APIs natively
- Symfony components makes the platform more open
- Performance with a better DB design
- Larger support community
- Releases cycles have got shorter and because it now uses Semantic Versioning it will be easier for users to identify the kind of release is.
- Drupal 8 is built using Symfony components, which are decoupled PHP libraries to focus on good standards and security, so this allows Drupal 8 to be aligned with the current industry standards while it benefits the PHP community supporting these components.
- The Views module (one of the most used modules in D7) is part of Drupal 8’s core and ready to be used out-of-the-box.
- Improved code quality
- Improved performance
- Improved templating