How To Edit LinkedIn Public Profile Preferences & Privacy Settings
- Want to see how your LinkedIn Profile looks when you’re being searched for?
- Want to keep your LinkedIn Profile private?
- Want to choose what information can be seen by people other than your connections?
If you’re concerned about what information on your LinkedIn Profile is being viewed by the public then it’s best you take a look at how to edit your public profile preferences & privacy settings. Let’s get started 🙂
1. Access Your LinkedIn Account Preferences & Privacy Settings
- Log into your LinkedIn Account (http://www.linkedin.com)
- Mouse over the arrow next to your name in the top right corner of your LinkedIn home screen.
- Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- You will be prompted to enter your LinkedIn account password again. Click the “Sign In” button.
2. Edit LinkedIn Profile Content Visible in Public Searches
- By default, users will see “Privacy Controls”, “Settings” and “Helpful Links” on your LinkedIn “Profile” account preferences & privacy settings tab.
- Click “Edit your public profile” link under the “Helpful Links” section.
Preview Your LinkedIn Public Profile Page
This page allows you to preview what your LinkedIn Profile will look like to the Public, based on the Profile Content that you select to make visible.
3. Make Your LinkedIn Profile Private or Edit Your LinkedIn Public Profile Content
- Choose your public “Profile Content” from the “Customize Your Public Profile” window on the right side of your screen.
- Select “Make my public profile visible to no one” to make your LinkedIn Profile content visible only to your Contacts. Your LinkedIn Profile will not show up in any public searches.
- Select “Make my public profile visible to everyone” to choose what type of information on your LinkedIn Profile will be visible to the Public. Your LinkedIn Profile will only show the selected information in public searches.
4. Select Content from your LinkedIn Profile that is visible to the Public
LinkedIn allows you to select specific information on your Profile to be made Public or Private. Users also have the option to “Show Details” for some of your LinkedIn Profile content.
- Check the boxes next to the content you want to make Public on your LinkedIn Profile. Uncheck the boxes next to the content you want to make Private on your LinkedIn Profile.
Here is a list of LinkedIn Profile content that you can choose to keep private or make public.
- Basics (Name, Industry, Location, Number of Recommendations)
- Summary | Options: Specialties
- Education | Options: Show Details
- Current Positions | Options: Show Details
- Past Positions | Options: Show Details
- Honors and Awards
- Additional Information | Options: Websites, Groups
- Interested in…
Important Note: LinkedIn Profile content that is checked will be visible to the public as soon as you mark the check box. There is NO Save button when editing your Public or Private LinkedIn Profile information. Before you get distracted or navigate away from this page… make sure what you see in the “Public Profile” view of your LinkedIn Profile, is information that you’re comfortable with the world wide web seeing too! LinkedIn will not ask you to save changes or as for you to confirm you are aware that by navigating away from the page. Your changes are automatically saved!
Related Articles: How to Create a LinkedIn Profile Badge